Dr. Axelrod and a gathering of established, published poets are offering young poets an opportunity to work together to write, revise, publish and perform poetry. The program is free.
Benefits of the Mentoring Program:
- Meet other young writers and performers.
- Get free stuff.
- Learn more about poetry from established authors.
- Become a published poet and maybe even publish a book of your own (for free).
- Perform your work at events and even compete on slam teams.
- Join up and have some fun.
Open to all Volusia County residents between the ages of 14 and 20, free.
Apply by email to Dr. Axelrod (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Provide contact information–name, address, phone number, email address, age, grade or educational level, school.
- Attach a document with 3 poems for mentors to review.
- Provide parent or guardian permission.
- You will be notified when your application is received.
- You will be screened and matched with a mentor.
You may also call Dr. Axelrod for more information: 386-337-4567
INFORMATION FOR MENTORS
There will be events celebrations throughout the months. An anthology of poetry will be published and selected young poets will also be eligible to have their own chapbook published.
YOUNG WRITERS MEETING
Beginning again on September 2, young poets and writers will meet on Saturdays from 2 to 4:00 p.m. at City Island Library. Writers can share their writing, practice performing, and get pointers from experienced, well-published authors. The next meeting will be March 4, and monthly on the first Saturday thereafter.
Those attending may also join the Young Poets Mentoring Program which offers the chance for free publication of poetry and even a free book publication of young poets’ own work.The meetings are free and open to everyone. There is also a chance to join a competitive slam team. For more information about slam competitions, email Kevin Campbell, email@example.com. For young poets and creative writing informaiton, contact Dr. David B. Axelrod, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 386-337-4567. Also visit www.volusiapoetlaureate.com.
Cultural Council of Volusia County.